Sunday, November 22, 2009

Reflection on My Hanoi Experiential Learning- Angeline Ong

The trip to Hanoi has really been an unforgettable and eye-opening experience for me.

When I heard that Vietnam is a third world country, I thought that the hygiene standard of the country will be very poor and there will be no proper toilets. However, it was better than I expected, there are proper flushing systems like what we have in Singapore. On the other hand, the Vietnamese are very traditional and backward in terms of transportation and dressing. For example, cows and buffalos were seen on the roads and this is the scene that Singapore was 60 years ago. Straw hats were worn by the citizens and goods were carried on their shoulders as seen in the picture below.

One of the most memorable experiences that I had was the trishaw ride. It is where I got to look around the Ancient Quarters of Hanoi and know more about how the Vietnamese lead their lives. As it was the peak hour, many scooters/motorbikes were seaming through the small passageway. Due to the polluted air, many of them had masks on.




There are no directional signs on the road, it is pretty scary to cross it as cars are coming in all directions yet thrilling as we will never get to experience this in Singapore. While travelling on the trishaw, I saw barbers along the street, it is rather surprising as they do not have a proper salon.


The other memorable experience that I had was the cruise ride on Ha Long Bay to the Dau Go Caves, I had always looked forward to it as I saw the pictures on the handbook. Indeed, the view was breathtaking. It’s really amazing how nature can form such beautiful landforms.





Finally, the trip to Agent Orange Orphanage was really heart wrenching. Looking at the innocent children suffering from the effect of war, it reminded me of my grand parents and how they have suffered during the Japanese occupation in Singapore. It’s even more heartbreaking to witness one of the children crying because of the pain she’s experiencing during physiotherapy. War was indeed ruthless and we should advance peace in mankind. Making the world a better place to live in.

I really felt very fortunate to be living in a country where I do not need to worry about our safety, about the cleanliness of food etc. Being in a foreign country without my parents around was quite a challenge as I depend a lot on them. But during the 4 days trip, I’ve learnt to be more independent and to manage my own spending. It also taught me to be grateful for what I have and to cherish the things and people around me.

Of course, I’d like to thank the teachers who organised and guided us throughout this trip—Ms Ong, Mdm Wee, Mdm Koh, Mdm Tami and Ms Lim. Not forgetting our tour guide-Mr Quynh! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment