Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflection on my hanoi experience-Jolene.K

Before we touched down to the capital of Vietnam, Hanoi. I thought that since its a slightly less developed country than Singapore, it would not have much facilities and shop buildings that are new. However, when i got out of the airport, i was surprised by the cold weather that seems to be constant through out the day.It got one of my friend with a slight flu. I could not get used to the food in the country though, probably i am too used to local food in singapore, nevertheless, i enjoyed some of it.I especially enjoyed the trishaw rides on the first day, however the roads were really crowded with vehicles, mostly of the motorcycles variety. It was probably the first time i fear for my life when crossing roads and in a trishaw.It was very scary. As we roam through the roads, i realised that the wires in the country were everywhere, it is probably why the country doesnt have double-decked buses.The air was also really polluted by the fumes from the vehicles moving.I am surprised that there were shop buildings like ours in singapore, like brand names and all.Overall i think that the trishaw rides is one of my best experience during the trip.






I also particularly like the trip to ha long bay. There was the food i liked=prawns! yay! also there was the scenary which is very visible from the boat. And i took many photos with my friends. The passage to the cave was quite steep, however, we were rewarded by the magnificent sight inside. there were animals features, there was also one that looks like the merlion.


We also visit the hilton prison. I guess this helps us to understand how the prisoners were treated and how they feel.There were also items that were displayed used to torture the prisoners. I am surprised that the females prisoners were also very loyal to their country even if they had been tortured by the french.This make me admire their courage and spirit towards their country.

The last day to the orphanage had been an eye opener for me, the children there look normal but they are really victims to agent orange. I feel a wave of sadness and pity towards them as they could never be able to lead normal lives.But they seem happy with what they have, even if they could never fit to society.

Through this trip i learn to appreciate my parents more, also i learn not to take things for granted at any point in time. To be happy with what i have now and to think myself lucky that i am living in a kind of luxury life since birth. I am grateful that i am born in singapore too. Lastly i want to thank the teachers for such a wonderful time during the four days in vietnam, i have learn quite a few things about geography even though i am a literature student.I would like to say that i would like to visit vietnam again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment