Sunday, November 22, 2009

Reflection on My Hanoi Experiential Learning- Hui Fang

Located near the Hanoi University of Agriculture





At Ha Long Bay




First and foremost, before I went on this trip, my impression of Hanoi was that it is a typical communist state and very much like Singapore in the 1950s and 60s, with its jungle of dilapidated infrastructure and a society that comprised people who mostly had backward mentalities. The most silly thing was, I actually thought that Ho Chin Minh is the main capital of Vietnam.
Well, after a 4 days 3 nights stay in Hanoi, I realised that Vietnam isn't as undeveloped as i thought. Most importantly, Hanoi is the main capital of Vietnam! Although the buildings appeared run-down. They do bear the trademarks of french architecture and seems to be a pleasant capital.
I personally feel that everything I experienced from day 1 to day 4 of the trip have really been memorable. The 3 most memorable experiences are, taking a ride on the cyclo, taking a cruise along Ha Long Bay to visit Thien Cung and Dau Go Caves and crossing the road in Hanoi for the very first time.
First most memorable experience is taking ride on the cyclo. At the beginning, when the teachers said that we are going to take a ride on the cyclo to visit the ancient quarters it was rather surprising as not in a million years would I think that cyclo is a mean of transport in Hanoi. In addition, I was wondering if the cyclo was safe to take a ride on. After all, it seems rather ancient. These unnecessary worries about the great cyclo soon vanishes the very moment, the ride started. I suppose it was the best mode of transport in Hanoi if you would like to experience what it is like on the streets of Hanoi. With motorcycles zooming by in different directions, streets crowded with people. Sitting in the cyclo with vehicles right next to me, so near that if I were to stretch my hands it is highly possible to touch the car doors and at times motorcyclist swerve to avoid collision with the cyclo. It was simply amazing, thrilling, fascinating, awesome! Horns of the cyclos, cars and motorcycles filled the streets. It was the best ride I ever had, I would be more than glad if I could take the ride again. This could never be experienced in Singapore. What makes it thrilling to ride on a cyclo is the chaotic streets, no sense of direction. I mean, literally no sense of direction, with vehicles travelling in the north, south, east and west direction and miraculously all happened on the very same road. Come to think of it, I am very fortunate having able to ride on a cyclo. Memorable times had to come to an end eventually, before I even realised it, I have reached the end of the ride. Indeed, I had lots of fun!
Second most memorable experience is taking the cruise along Ha Long bay to visit Thien Cung and Dau Go Caves. The view of the Ha Long Bay was simply breathtaking. The cruise along Ha Long Bay took approximately three and a half hours. The headlands and bays were totally different from what I thought. They were huge and magnificent, the scenery was so beautiful, I couldn't take my eyes of it. After a three and a half hours cruise, we went to the Dau Go Caves. This was another breathtaking view, right in front of my very eyes were stalagmites and stalactites which took millions of years to form. What makes the Dau Go Caves ( limestone caves) unique were the light effects. This is truly an awesome work of nature which is simply magnificent.
Third most memorable experience is crossing the road in Hanoi for the very first time. Crossing the road filled with heavy traffic was ridiculously fun and thrilling. This feeling is as though you cross the highway in the mist of heavy traffic. Very dangerous yet thrilling. Can't do that in Singapore, try it, and the next second you would be sent flying!
Three things that I have learnt about myself and my life as a student in Singapore are, I am very fortunate to be born in Singapore as the living conditions here and education systems are great. Also, I have learnt to become more independent and treasure what I have in Singapore. Lastly, in Singapore we should study hard as in future the competitiveness of jobs in the outside world is great.
Not forgetting, Thank You teachers for making this trip to Hanoi an enjoyable one!






No comments:

Post a Comment