Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflection on My Hanoi Experiential learning-Ong Shi Ke

My initial impression of Hanoi was that it is most likely not a place where there is many things to shop for. Also I assumed that Hanoi’s hygiene standard was incomparable to Singapore’s. However, after spending 4 days in Hanoi, my impression of Hanoi had changed. After visiting a few places in Hanoi, I realized that the hygiene standard in Hanoi varies from places to places. For example, certain restaurant that we visited had clean toilets while others were dirtier. Also, I realized that Hanoi had many things to shop for. For example, the streets around the water puppet theater had many shops. However, most shop sold almost the same things.

I had many memorable experiences during these 4 days in Hanoi. One memorable experience was the water puppet show. I felt that the show was a great demonstration of teamwork. The puppet handlers coordinated perfectly despite the fact that they are not able to see the puppet as they are behind the scene with a screen blocking. Apart from the teamwork displayed, I am also surprised that the puppet handlers were actually half-submerged for the entire show. I am surprised as initially I thought the puppet handlers controlled the puppets from a dry area. Another memorable experience was having lunch on a boat. I felt that the chefs/cooks were really incredible as they actually managed to cook all the delicious food for 25 people in a small kitchen. My best experience was the visit to the Dau Go Caves. I found the caves unbelievable. I think that the caves are certainly a fantastic work of art by Mother Nature! I found the caves superb as it is actually formed through erosion processes through rain and waves (told by geo teachers and tour guide).

The water puppet show(ending part)




The Boat we boarded....
Some of the food we had on board...






Dau Go Cave





From this trip, I learnt that being able to live in Singapore is indeed a privilege. For example, the drinkable tap water, the neat and safe flowing traffic and even the lockable and clean toilets. All of these which we Singaporeans have take for granted. Also, the life as a student in Singapore is way better than in Vietnam, Hanoi. For example, the big classrooms, the clean environment and air and of course the variety of facilities such as air-conditioned library and vending machines.

To end off, I am thankful to the school for giving this opportunity to go to Vietnam. Also, I would like to thank the teachers: Miss Ong, Mdm Wee, Mdm Tami, Miss Lim & Mdm Koh, for organizing this trip and to accompany us on the trip.

1 comment: