Saturday, November 21, 2009

Reflection on my Hanoi experiential learning- Yan Heng

First of all, this trip had been certainly an exciting and fulfilling one for me. This whole four days changed my impression of Vietnam and gave me an insight to the life of the Vietnamese people. This trip had gone very smoothly, with no major hiccups and I am sure that all of us enjoyed ourselves very much within these four days.

Before this trip, I had this prejudiced view of Vietnam; I thought they were an undeveloped country with people living in poverty, without any food and proper waste system. I thought beggars would fill the streets and that roads were poorly constructed. But that was before I landed in Hanoi at the Noi Bai International Airport and than I realized how naïve I had been. Yes, this airport isn’t as grand or as big as Changi airport but yet this was totally different from what I expected. But it wasn’t exactly perfect, it had a gloomy look and the efficiency was slow. Also, I suspect that there isn’t any air-conditioning in the whole airport…Nevertheless, it was certainly had given me a surprise. Over the four days, I realized they were not as undeveloped as I thought. There were proper electricity and waste system. My impression of Vietnam undergoes a 360 degree change. This will surely add to my worldly knowledge.

Perhaps the most memorable event of this whole trip was the trishaw ride. It was unimaginably thrilling. Perhaps many of you would scoff at this sentence and ask what is so thrilling about a trishaw ride. Then perhaps you have not taken a trishaw ride in Vietnam. As I sat into the spacious trishaw and adjust myself to make me feel comfortable, I felt uneasy. I wondered if this is really safe, having seen the bustling traffic of Vietnam streets. Even as I sat there, scooters of all kind zoomed past and cars hustled along. Then as the trishaw began to move out and a scooter almost came crashing into us, but the trishaw uncle who was extremely nimble, steered the whole trishaw into another direction. I breathed a sigh of relief. But the worst is yet to come. As we weaved in between the Vietnamese chaotic traffic, many scooters and cars came from all direction and I mean all direction, but the trishaw uncle was able to move away. Unlike Singapore orderly traffic, Vietnam seems to have no proper traffic system and vehicles seem to be able to go wherever and whenever they feel like. The roads are congested at almost every major street. To make matter worse, the honking seems to be endless. It is like they are trying to make music for the pedestrians, honk here honk there. Moreover, the honking is equal or perhaps less loud than a trumpet. Even late at night, the honking continues. Like a teacher said, you just have to stay in Vietnam for ten days and you will go deaf. Alright back to the trishaw ride. As I said the traffic was chaotic however it was amazing the way they seem to give and let. Yes, hundreds of vehicles streamed the roads of Vietnam from every direction but through these four days, I have not seen any accident, not even a minor one. Maybe this is because of their graciousness and their fantastic ability to control their vehicles movement. The Vietnamese people, though some are not, will let each other pass before they make their own. In the trishaw ride, some almost collided with us but they managed to stop or steered away, allowing us to move first. Or in others words, like a teacher labeled it, orderly chaos. It was certainly a experience one could hardly forget. As we can to the end of the trishaw ride and as I hand the uncle a USD $1, he gave a look of disbelief. Certainly, he doesn’t deserve so little for braving through the danger of Vietnam traffic, but I think the money would be better used to buy a hot drink to ease my nerve. :D This experience will definitely be etched in my heart for a long time to come.

Another memorable experience was the boat ride to visit the Ha Long Bay Area. It was majestic. The rocks were formed in a way that it looks man made but it is formed after millions of years of erosion and it is amazing that nature could create such wonderful landforms. However, the scorching hot sun came down on us intensely; the food on the boat was delicious though.

Another memorable experience and the most beautiful one was the visit to Thein Cung & Da Guo Cave. The sheer beauty of it left us all in awe. It was majestic and gorgeously eroded by the water over thousand millions of years. It was simply flawless they way it was presented to us. But I learnt that it will not be the same millions year later due to the erosion that will occurred, causing sediments to build up. Maybe it will look even more gorgeous than this but perhaps erosion will destroy the natural beauty exist now.

I realized that I am very lucky to have a school which is so much advanced in terms of appearance and technology than the Vietnamese schools. Although the university was big, it was old and the walls need a new coat of paint. I realized I am very lucky to be born in Singapore without having to suffer the after effects of war. I had the opportunity to visit an orphanage which houses children suffering from the effects of Agent Orange, a chemical used by the Americans to force the Vietnamese out of the forest during the Vietnam War and those suffering from metal illness. Some of them was unable to walk and had to undergo painful treatment to strengthen their muscles. It was hearth breaking to see a child whine in pain. There was also this little child who had to use an object (no clue about what it is called) and stands on it for a long time in bid to help her walk again. She could wave hello when we came in and wave goodbye when we left. It was really touching. I realized I should appreciate all I have now, as compared to other people in the world, I am very fortunate.

Lastly, I would like to thank all the teachers, friends and tour guide who made this trip very enjoyable. Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment