Monday, November 23, 2009

Reflection On My Hanoi Experiential Learning - Helina Foo

I didn't think much of Hanoi before I was there. To me, Hanoi was a poverty-stricken country which had yet to flourish, since the majority of Vietnamese are farmers and they don't earn big. The foul-smelling airport and chaotic roads confirmed my belief. However, I soon realized that although the country is developing and there are limited facilities available, Hanoi can be an awesome place to live. I didn't know I would see gorgeous old French-style buildings and endless plantation landscapes. It is such a beautiful country! Well... except for the wires. I think they're called wires. They are so ugly!

Above: Cable wires. They are everywhere.
Below: French-inspired buildings.


One remarkable experience I had was the cyclo ride. Initially I thought it was a trishaw, but Mdm Koh said otherwise. Trishaw is attached to a bicycle and the driver cycle beside you while the driver cycle behind you in a cyclo. I googled it so hopefully it's correct. Like everyone else, I love the cyclo ride! It is so dangerous and can I say 'shiok'? In fact, I think the government should establish an age limit law for riding cyclo or a motorcycle; accidents may occur real easily. I'm kidding. Vehicles are appearing from all four directions as there aren't any traffic lights, they just honk and drive. Pedestrians crossing the roads don't bother with waiting; they simply step out to walk to the other side. The vehicles will automatically slow down for them. Once, I even saw a woman carrying a bowl of piping hot noodles crossing the insane road. I will miss this scene because this will never happen in Singapore.
Another adventure in Hanoi was the visit to Ha Long Bay. Yes, breathtaking scenery with what all those landforms but I preferred the cruise. It felt so cozy cuddling up in the suntan chair witnessing the headlands, bays and wave-cut platforms. It was the dry season when we visited Hanoi, therefore most of the landforms we saw were exposed and it was easy to imagine how the landforms looked in high tide due to the water mark on the rocks. Perhaps when I cruise Ha Long again in the future it wouldn't be as lovely.
Last but not least, we visited an orphanage with victims of Agent Orange. Agent Orange is a chemical used in the Vietnam War and it is deadly. We didn't saw any children with abnormal features in spite of some children having to have their arms and legs stretched so they can walk. It is so melancholy seeing how they wail due to the pain yet they still tried to withstand it. My heart goes out to the volunteers and nurses who gave their time for the children. I always take things for granted. I never bother to appreciate my life or that I have no mental disability. Those poor kids! They are so young and innocent, yet they have to be affected by the effects of Agent Orange. I cannot believe they accepted their life and tolerate pain.

Both pictures: Ha Long Bay.
Below: The Fighting Roosters.


One important thing I learned from this trip is that everybody's different. I know it's odd to learn something like that. Some people were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and never lift a finger to do anything, while some people were born into an underprivileged family with disabilities and had to work hard all their lives. We just have to accept our lives and live it, not abuse it or whine about it. Not only that, we also have to accept other people for who they are and respect them for it.
I also learned to adapt to new surroundings. In Hanoi, the weather is dry and chilly unlike the humid and blazing hot weather of Singapore. It may be tough trying to adjust to new living conditions and not able to drink straight from the tap, but it is necessary we adapt because in the future we might work in foreign countries and we need to be independent.
In addition, I also want to really appreciate my life and be thankful that I have awesome parents, teachers and schoolmates. I'm grateful that I don't have to bear the consequences of any war, and I should lend a helping hand to the people who are in need. Thank you to the five lovely teachers for making this trip successful. And thanks to my classmates too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment